La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Friday, September 11, 2015

Something different - The Pea Pod Crochet Project



I'm not your typical crochet person. Whatever that is. I learnt crochet in primary school, way back when.  Let's just say it went out of fashion for several decades and I never picked up on it.
While living in France we had a few volunteers from the US, young people in their early twenties, who were very much into crochet and crafty things like knitting and quilting.
It was Emily, sitting next to me in the sitting room crocheting to her heart's content, who made me think it was something I could do on a cold winter's eve.
So, off we went. Bought a crochet hook and some cheapo yarn. 
I started crocheting squares in my 45 th year, as you do, nothing too difficult, haha.  It took me a couple of years before I ended up with enough squares to make a small-ish throw. 
Size doesn't matter and the time frame in which you finish a crochet project doesn't either.
Every now and then I pick up some yarn and crochet hook and off I go.

This last spring I came upon a picture on Pinterest of a baby in a pea pod cocoon. Unfortunately, I cannot credit this picture as the source was not very clear. I have seen it advertised on aliexpress as a prop for photography.


I fell head over heals with this picture and I desperately wanted to crochet this pea pod. 
Firstly, I had no pattern or description. It wouldn't be of any use for me as I can't make head or tails from any pattern or description. Hence the crocheting of squares - granny squares.
Secondly, who was I going to make this for ? Hmm. Then I realised this find came just in time for the first grandchild of our very good friends, Sigi and Yvonne.  Their daughter, Mara was going to give birth a month or so away.

I set to work. Don't ask me for a description or pattern as I made it up as I went along - that is my usual modus operandi.
And here is the result.




It is nothing like the example, but cute nonetheless.


Even cuter with baby Kaemon in it.

What a buzz it gave me, being able to crochet something so sweet for a lovely baby boy.  I'll probably call him Sweetpea for the rest of my life.

Patricia  xxx...x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...