La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Shaheen's Beetroot Croquettes


I fell in love with these as soon as I saw them on the Allotment2Kitchen blog. 
Of course I needed to wait till my beets in the garden were ready to harvest.
I did make them, last year in July, lots of them. They freeze well (unfried) and that is what I did with a good few.
Yesterday, I took some out for dinner and served with shaved fennel slaw and salmon.
Beetroot works well with fish, in my opinion, and these are no different.

Last year's, served with a rocket salad and a selection of smoked fish and of course my favourite....capers.Haha.

Next time I will either use a finer grater and/or parboil the beets first.

I suggest you browse  http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/ .  You don't have to be a vegetarian to appreciate most of the recipes on there.  Look at me !  I love meat, but I also love Shaheen's recipes. Truly inspirational.

Thanks for visiting.
Patricia xxx...x

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words on my blog, Patricia! As for your beet root croquettes ... I never knew one made vegetable croquettes! I've only ever had the ham croquettas as a tapas offering! These sound intriguing! My husband loves beets and grows them in our backyard garden ... I may just surprise him with your recipe when we harvest them this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tasted beetroot croquettes! Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Thank you so much for the kind mention, link and esp. for making the recipe. I have to admit, I have never frozen these, so its good to learn that you can. I hope it is okay with you, I am going to link your homemade beetroot croquettes from the original recipe so other fellow bloggers can see that it works and be inspired too. Thank you once again Patricia.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...