La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Where do I take up from where I left off ?

I know, I know... I've never had a great routine posting on this blog.  I've tried and failed many a time. But in coming back to Ireland I was intend on getting serious about blogging and creating recipes along the way.
Something happened and stopped us in our tracks with one of our just started projects and it had us knocked for six.  Even though my mind and spirit had been numbed for quite a while, some good has come from our misfortune.
Our present volunteer, Wen, who came to us via HelpX said she was saddened to see that my blog hadn't been updated in a long, long time. This young woman from Malaysia has helped me in finding my motivation again.
Wen

And this is where I take up again...
How many times has Bert vetoed my idea of keeping a few pigs, I can't tell you. He is not a fan of eating our 'pets'. To be frank, neither am I, but this time it was a solution to our 'big' problem. And, ....and, we do eat meat, so let's not be hypocritical about it.
Our first 4 piglets came in the beginning of August last year (2014). They were a cross of 2 old rare breeds, namely Gloucester Old Spot and Saddleback.
 Just arrived in the back of the van.


Finding out where the food is. Notice the elephant head 'tattoo' on the first one's backside.

We were not going to do anything BUT give our piggies the best life we could possibly give them.
They have a lovely dry pen in our shed with lots of straw and they are able to free range on a substantial plot of land.

 Venturing outside for the first time.

Clean... 

Clean...

Not so much... 

We provided them with a wallow and boy, did they enjoy that !




I know I shouldn't name the animals that are destined for meat, but I couldn't help myself naming one of them Pinky.

Two of them, much bigger, in November 2014.
Happy as a pig in muck.

They have gone now and others have come in their place. I will tell you about the next lot later. 
I promise.

Thank you for joining me again.
Patricia xxx...x






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...