La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Friday, September 25, 2015

Multi-Seed Bread



Bread making is something I've been doing for over 20 years. I've made many different types of bread and in numerous shapes and sizes. I don't get started unless I can bake a batch to be stored in the freezer.




My trusty little helper here is my Kenwood mixer.


One of our staple loaves is the multi seed bread and I thought it was about time to share a bread recipe here.


I am not a person that measures off all ingredients usually. I kind of did for once so I could write it down for anyone who might be interested. The bit that shocked me was the amount of instant yeast I normally use. Eek! I take 3 scoops, like I always do, and weighed it on the kitchen scales. 30 grams.
That seems like an awful lot, but I wasn't going to pull the wool over your eyes by telling you I use less than that amount. So here goes.

Ingredients

  • 700 gr plain flour
  • 300 gr coarse wholewheat flour
  • 30 gr dried instant yeast
  • sesame seeds, 2 heaped tbsp
  • flax seeds, 2 heaped tbsp
  • poppy seeds, 1 heaped tbsp
  • sunflower seeds, 3 heaped tbsp
  • 20 gr salt
  • 20 gr sugar
  • sunflower oil, 3 tbsp
  • 600 ml tepid water (could be more, could be less - that depends on the moisture content of the flour)
  • pumpkin seeds, 2 heaped tbsp


Preparation

  • In the bowl of your mixer, spoon the flour and yeast together.

  • Add the sesame, flax, poppy and sunflower seeds and mix them into the flour.


  • Next add the sugar, salt, sunflower oil and a little water (this to prevent a dust cloud covering your kitchen worktop)
  • Start the mixer and gradually, add more water. Do this on a low setting.
  • I usually add water in stages as sometimes the flour absorbs more liquid than other times.

  • The Kenwood does its work on a low speed for about 5 minutes.
  • By this time the dough should be a homogeneous ball. When you pull off a piece, it should feel supple and elastic. 
  • This is the stage where I add the pumpkin seeds. If you add them in at the beginning they tend to colour the bread slightly green which I find  unappetising, plus they break down too much.
  • And back to the kneading for another 5 minutes.
  • The dough shouldn't feel too dry, as mine did. You can always add another splash of water and knead a little longer.
  • Shape the dough into a ball and let it rest in a bowl covered with a clean towel or clingfilm.
  • Leave it to rise to double the size.
  • Preheat the oven to 210 C fan.
  • On a floured surface tip out the dough and divide it into 2.
  • Press slightly out and roll the dough into a loaf shape.


  • Put them in lined bread tins.
  • And leave to rise for another half hour.

  • Cut with a knife diagonal lines into the loaves and brush with water.
  • Bake for about 45 minutes. You can check if it is ready when you take the bread out of the tin and tap it on the bottom. It sounds hollow if it is ready.
  • Leave to cool on a wire rack.


And there you have it. My multi-seed bread.

Enjoy the weekend !
Patricia xxx...x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...