La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Friday, January 15, 2016

The Ladies who Crochet

On Thursdays some of my friends and I get together for a bit of crochet. We each take it in turns to host at our respective homes. Yesterday it was my turn.
It starts at 11 am and we stop between 1 and 1.30 pm. We have biscuits and coffee or tea.
We only do this during the winter months as in the summer most are very busy (except me, perhaps).
Sophie and Sue both have a smallholding with farm animals and veggies.
Sophie sells loads of lettuce to the local restaurants, coffee shops and has her market stall on Tuesday Sneem market in the summer. Derryquin Farm
Sue runs her own holiday let, Bridget's Cottage, beside her farm.
Maggie is an artist and has plenty of work with her pets, ducks, chickens and husband (haha !). Anneke (Sophie's mum) is retired and has crocheted most of her life and spends her days crafting all sorts. Her crochet is as delicate as lace and she's been known to sell pieces at the Kenmare Lace center. She surrounds herself with cats, dogs, chickens and all sorts.

Best not to crochet anything too complicated where counting stitches is important. Lots of chatter, giggles and laughter will make you lose count.

 Sue

Maggie 

Sophie 

Anneke

They are so gonna love me for this. ;-)

Is it Friday again already ?  Have a glorious weekend all !
Patricia xxx...

13 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend some time!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Liz ! Thank you for commenting.
      And I have now discovered your blog too. It is lovely. Right up my street.

      Delete
  2. How fun!! Is Sue crocheting something from Attic 24? Those colors are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think she is. Just a random never ending granny square, using up yarn. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the perfect way to spend an afternoon, I think I need to join you then I might actually master crochet as it has defeated me so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a serious crocheter and I haven't mastered much. But the others are well and truly advanced.

      Delete
  4. I can imagine you four sitting around the table and sharing snippets of gossip about your fellow villagers, between you as to who has done what and with whom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ! We're with the 5 of us. I wasn't in any of the pictures as I was the photographer. ;)
      We don't gossip too much about fellow villagers. Our respective husbands oth get the brunt of it quite often.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow I wish I lived closer - you like like a fabulous bunch of crafters. I'm desperately searching for some crafty minded friends - none of mine do so I need a few new ones! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do a skype session with crafty bloggers.
      These here are indeed a fabulous bunch. Often hilarious and always up for a laugh or a giggle. xxx...x

      Delete
  6. Oh they look a lovely bunch. Ladies who crochet, instead of ladies who lunch, what a wonderful idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not posh enough to be called 'Ladies who lunch'. Haha !

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic way to spend a few hours. Great to have such like minded companions. Crochet and gossip. Perfect therapy for us all

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...