La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Erm... What Was It that I Came in Here For ?

My befuddled brain is full of measurements and calculations while I try to make the roman blinds for the bedroom - finally. It takes a fair bit of focus, you see, and I'm so easily distracted.

But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about. Not yet, anyway.
I'm here to show you our mini plant nursery, which is what my kitchen now has been promoted to.

 The upside down plastic boxes are to protect the seedlings from ...

 ...these two on the right.
 The pumpkin seeds have sprung and are growing at triffid speed.
Rouge Vif d'Etampes 

 Left : squash Futsu. Right : yellow and green courgette.

 Squash Butterbush

 Crystal Lemon cucumber in the front and only two Tuffy squash plants

More courgettes that I've sown last week. A small variety of white colour.
Bianca di Trieste

 The broad beans have come on in leaps and bounds.

I've now placed them in our homemade cold frame for another week and then they can be planted out.



 I've placed the potted cutting of a lilac tree in the cold frame as well.
It had overstayed its welcome in the kitchen. Not really, but it should also find its final place in the garden soon.

While I was outside I took a peek into the cloches that protect the recently transplanted strawberries.
And they're doing just fine.


And this is what I have to deal with when trying to measure, calculate, cut, pin and sew.


Till next time.
Patricia xxx...x

6 comments:

  1. I find it exciting when things start to grow. It's all looking great. I would love to have the space to grow our own. Hopefully when we are able to relocate. I have had strawberries for a few years though, and it always amazes me when they spring to life again after winter. Love your happy 'helpers'. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I check on them every minute or so. Yes, I am that easily distracted from 'real work'.
      xxx...x

      Delete
  2. Wow look at your seedlings! Wonderful! Love the 'helper' ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 'helper' isn't really 'helping'. But he's lovely all the same. xxx...x

      Delete
  3. Your seeds are doing really well, mine are really slow.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little anxious that they might get too leggy before I can plant them in the garden though.
      My tomatoes, chillies and peppers are now at a standstill and still extremely delicate. I am worried.
      xxx...x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...